Asante Kotoko knocked out of FA Cup by Berekum Chelsea at Obuasi

Asante Kotoko knocked out of FA Cup by Berekum Chelsea at Obuasi

Kumasi Asante Kotoko misery continued at Obuasi on Sunday afternoon in their FA Cup quarter-final fixture against Berekum Chelsea.

Following a series of underwhelming performances in the league that saw them fall behind in the title race to eventual winners, Accra Hearts of Oak, their hope for a trophy has finally ended.

The Porcupine Warriors knocked out lower-tier side Asokwa Deportivo to advance to the last eight and set up a date with the Blues who got through courtesy of a penalty shootout victory of Kintampo FC in the previous round.

Their success from 12 yards out would follow them to Obuasi and haunted would haunt the Porcupine Warriors for the next few weeks. The Blues advanced via a 5-4 penalty shootout victory.

Following a goalless 90 minutes of football that saw Kotoko start on the front foot, neither side could secure the win in normal time. Emmanuel Gyamfi had the chance to put Kotoko in the lead in the 4th minute but unfortunately sent his first-time effort into the body of the goalkeeper Ernest Sowah. Sarfo Taylor immediately had another chance and rounded Sowah but his weaker left foot failed in an attempted lob over the keeper.

Kotoko made an enforced change in the 19th minute with Kwame Frimpong replacing Sakfu Mudasiru who limped off with an injury. Kotoko had a penalty appeal dismissed in the 25th minute when Christopher Nettey rounded a defender and was taken down. Sarfo Taylor then won a penalty 10 minutes later for Kotoko but Fabio Gama’s curler from 12 yards out was palmed away and Sarfo sent the rebound flying over the bar.

Chelsea did not threaten until in the 55th minute when Stephen Amankona drew a decent save from Abalora who largely had a day off in the game till that moment. The Blues warmed into the match heading to the end of normal time but could not breach Kotoko’s defence.

They headed to extra time after they both failed to win in 90 minutes. Both sides showed urgency in their game and threatened but none went closer than Patrick Asmah’s ranger from 40 yards out that flew narrowly over the crossbar with eight minutes of extra time left to play. It ended still goalless between the two premier league sides and they had to settle it in a shootout.

Kotoko went first and Patrick Asmah was tasked with leading the Warriors and he expertly curled in the opener of the shootout. Adomako and Gama would then also find success from 12 yards out with the Brazilian making amends for his first-half miss. Wahab Adams missed Kotoko’s fourth kick, allowing Chelsea to lead from there. All five players from Chelsea held their nerves and smashed in their kicks to beat the Porcupine Warriors 4-5.

Chelsea will face Ashanti Gold SC who beat lower-tier side Kintampo Top Talents on Saturday. The winner will face either Hearts of Oak or Medeama SC in the final.

By: Clifford Adumbire |

Join the discussion

%d bloggers like this: