An Accra-based Lebanese owned fast-food chain restaurant, Marwako has had its East Legon branch shut down over an alleged case of food poisoning after several people took to the microblogging site, Twitter to reveal the horror they experienced after eating out at the restaurant over the weekend.
Public relations officer of Marwarko, Mohammed Amin Lamptey, during an interview on TV3 Thursday, May 12 alluded to the claims by some members of the public of food poisoning over the weekend.
He revealed that the company is still probing the matter and also appealed to persons who have threatened to sue the company to exercise patience.
The Food and Drugs Authority has since shut down the East Legon branch while assuring the public that the issue will be thoroughly investigated.
A statement on Twitter said, “The FDA has taken notice of complaints from the public about the suspected food poisoning at the East Legon Branch of Marwarko Restaurant. We have closed down the restaurant and together with other relevant agencies, started investigations.
“We wish to assure the public that the issue would be thoroughly investigated and appropriate actions taken. Additionally, FDA is ensuring the strict implementation of it protocols to prevent any further harm to the public.”
However, users of the social media platform, Twitter has been awash with reports of people who have been hospitalised at the Nyaho Clinic in Accra after consuming food from Marwako. Many have threatened to sue the company while others have sounded a call to victims to come together and make sure they get justice.
Some individuals who say they are medical practitioners have also reported a surge in cases at their facilities with the cases all linked to persons who consumed meals from the restaurant.