Commercial transport operators and government in a standoff over transport fare increment

Commercial transport operators and government in a standoff over transport fare increment

Information indicates that the Coalition of Private Transport Operators have not agreed with the government on any concrete figure by with the operators should increase transport fares.

While the Coalition of Private Transport Operators is proposing a 20% increment, the government is opting for only a 10% increment.

The second meeting which lasted for three hours had to end in a stalemate as both parties were holding entrenched positions.

According to sources at the meeting, it ended inconclusively and has been rescheduled to Friday 18th February 2022.

Also, the coalition will meet on Wednesday to deliberate on the way forward ahead of its next engagement with the government.

The operators had initially insisted that they would push for the government to approve a 30 per cent increment in transport fares.

According to them the increment is justified considering the increment in fuel prices, the high cost of spare parts and the associated effects on their business.

A representative of the operators and the Public Relations Officer of the Concerned Drivers Association, David Agboado last week said the meeting with the government was just a formality to seek their input and that the 30 per cent increment will be announced regardless.

“We are saying that the 30 per cent is not a proposal. It is what we are going to take, regardless of what government will say. We have all agreed on the 30 per cent, but the government must also have an input in it, that is why we are meeting the government on Thursday, February 10, 2022.”

“I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag, but Ghanaians should expect the announcement of the increment from now to the 19th of this month. We will publicize it,” he said.

By: Stella Annan | myactiveonline.com Twitter @activetvgh

Join the discussion

%d bloggers like this: