Ghana has been given some reprieve after the Confederation of African Football gave a one-match approval of the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi for the upcoming World Cup playoff against Nigeria.
The Cape Coast Stadium which has been hosting Ghana’s FIFA and CAF qualifiers in the past two years was rejected by the Caf inspection team after it was left in a bad state having been used for the Independence Day celebration. Ghana was racing against time to have it approved with increased efforts by authorities to have it ready for the match.
Caf though approved the stadium, has attached some conditions that must be met before the stadium will be used else the nation will incur financial penalties.
A letter addressed to the GFA General Secretary and signed by Caf’s development officer Raul Chipenda said “Reference to the Caf stadium inspection conducted to Baba Yara Sports Stadium (Kumasi) for the Fifa World Cup Qatar 2022 African qualifiers playoff round match, Ghana Vs. Nigeria scheduled for the 25th of March 2022, following the analysis of the report we have taken the following decision:
“Grant a one-match approval for the use of Baba Yara Sports Stadium (Kumasi) in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 African qualifiers playoff round match Ghana Vs. Nigeria;
“Upon conclusion of the Fifa World Cup Qatar 2022 playoff round match, the stadium is automatically removed from the list of Caf approved stadiums and will only be approved for any subsequent Caf and Fifa international senior national teams matches and Caf men’s interclub competitions following the implementation of all the Caf remarks.”
The following conditions must be met before the stadium can be used:
- Installation of new international standard, modern and comfortable officials’ benches at pitch level.
- Adjustment of the floodlight intensity. A minimum of 1200 Lux should be provided all over the pitch, covering uniformly every area of the playing field.
- Increase seating and lockers in the teams’ dressing rooms to reach (25) persons.
- Installation of completely new modern equipment and materials in the referees dressing rooms and ensure that is equipped with all the necessary materials and CAF requirements.
- Set up the water system to provide both cold and hot water in the teams and officials’ dressing room.
- General refurbishment of the Caf office, installation of modern desks and seats, including the necessary electronic and working equipment.
- VOC must be available and equipped with all the necessary equipment and requirements.
- Complete refurbishment of the media tribune, press conference room and media centre, installing new and modern equipment.