The National Democratic Congress (NDC), the largest opposition party, has issued the schedule for its internal elections, which was accepted by the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC).
New Branch Executives will be appointed to all newly established Branches. Only members of a branch who enrolled by 2018 are eligible to run for office; all members having their names on the branch register are eligible to vote, according to a notice released on Tuesday, May 10.
below is the full statement signed by its General Secretary Johnson Asiedu Nketia
For Immediate Release:
COMMUNIQUE ISSUED AT THE END OF THE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
HELD ON 9TH MAY, 2022 AT THE PARTY HEADQUARTERS, ACCRA
The National Executive Committee (NEC) of the National Democratic Congress at its meeting
held on Monday 9th May 2022 at the Party Headquarters discussed the ongoing reorganization
of the party and resolved as follows:
A. Branch Reorganization Exercise:
- That Regulations and modalities for Branch Elections should be approved by NEC and
the elections conducted before that of the constituencies and the Region.
- That as part of the regulations for the branch elections, nominations shall open upon
an official publication or announcement by the General Secretary seven (7) clear days
before the start of the election.
- That nominations forms shall be made available at all branches at a fee of ten Ghana
cedis only (GHC 10.00) for all aspirants.
- That, to be eligible to contest for a position in the branch elections, a person must be a
registered and active member of the party and in good standing for a least four (4) years.
- That all registered members of the party in good standing shall participate in the voting
- That for the avoidance of doubt, NEC delegates the Functional Executive Committee to
act on its behalf in the exercise of the approved guidelines for the conduct of the branch
B. APPROVAL OF SALL and PROFORUM Affiliation
NEC also resolved;
- That the SALL area (Santrokofi Akpafu, Lolobi and Likpe) is recognized and adopted as
a Constituency by the NDC.
- That the NDC Professionals Forum’s application for affiliation is approved for
submission to Congress in accordance with article 9 of the NDC Constitution.
C. Reorganisation Timetable