Minister Denies Claim That He Enrolled His Son In A Private Senior High School
I have no son old enough to be in senior high school – Yaw Adutwum
Education Minister , Dr. Yaw Adutwum, has debunked claims that he has enrolled his child in a private senior high school instead of a government school.
The Minister said none of his children has even attained the age for secondary education.
He therefore says he finds it surprising that anyone would make such a claim against him.
Addressing the press on Sunday under the auspices of the Information Ministry, the Minister said, “I think politics has taken a new low. My son should never be a part of my political career, and secondly, I don’t have a son who is old enough to be in a Senior High School… Suffice it to say that I have no further comment on that, my son is not old enough to be in the Senior High School,” he said.
The Minister further stressed that public senior high schools in the country were of good quality and that “we have the best Senior High Schools in this country in the public sector.”
The Daily Post newspaper last week alleged in a report that Dr. Yaw Osei Adutwum has enrolled his son in a private international secondary school in Kumasi.
The report suggested that the Minister’s action was a clear demonstration that he did not believe in the quality of education offered in public secondary schools which he oversees.
The Deputy Ranking Member for Parliament’s Education Committee, Dr. Clement Apaak, reacted to the news by saying that the Minister has lost the moral right to justify the government’s Free Senior High School programme and claim that it is of high quality.
“His decision to enrol his ward into a private rather than a public SHS suggests that he has no faith in the Free SHS he superintendents over. If confirmed, such an action will be a betrayal and a confirmation of the challenges associated with the implementation of Free SHS,” Dr. Apaak said, and asked the Minister to come clean on the issue.
Source :Stella Annan |myactiveonline.com